Procedures in the categories below and other procedures, which the Ailesbury Clinic deems competent to carry out, will be covered by this patient directed service. These procedures have been classified into the following main groupings:
- Injections/Aspiration/Arthrocentesis(muscles, tendons and joints). Includes cortisone and hyalgan injections..
- Invasive procedures, including r/o all skin cancers, pigmented nevi, ganglions, sebaceous cysts, lipomas, dermatofibromas, abscesses or tumours.
- Treatment of verrucae or plantar warts with cryotherapy CO2 laser/Erbium YAG laser and Aldara cream
- Suturing and repair of superficial and deep wounds.
- Skin Biopsy of subcutaneous lesions or rashes for histopathological diagnosis
- Treatment of Actinic Keratosis by PDT/ALA, cyrotherapy and CO2 laser
- Treatment of superficial BCC by Photodynamic Therapy ALA and 633nm Omnilux
Registered surgical nurses are present to provide support and care to patients undergoing minor surgery. Nurses assisting in minor surgery procedures usually are also trained in laser therapy and competent to assist in minor procedures.
Sterilisation and infection
Although it is recognized that minor surgery performed in General Practice has a low incidence of complications, it is important that practices providing minor surgery operate to the highest possible standards. The Ailesbury Clinic uses approved Excel autoclaves and sterilization procedures that comply with national guidelines.
In each case the patient is fully informed of the treatment options and the treatment proposed. The patient gives written consent for the procedure to be carried out and the completed consent form should be filed in the patient’s medical record.
All tissue removed by the Ailesbury Clinic are sent routinely for histological examination to St. Vincent’s Hospital and are usually seen by a dedicated skin histopathologist Dr. Keiran Sheehan. It is considered acceptable not to overload the service with diagnostically obvious lesions such as sebaceous cysts etc.
Full records of all procedures should be maintained in such a way that aggregated data and details of individual patients are readily accessible. The Ailesbury Clinic regularly audits peer-review minor surgery and cosmetic work.
Continual patient care
There is an opportunity for the referral General Practitioner to be part of their own patient’s continuing care by electing to remove sutures etc. or by monitoring a patient’s progress.
There is a €100 consultation fee and treatments will be priced in accordance with the approved Insurance Provider schedule of benefits. Medical card patients will have the facility to sign a STC if their doctor provides a proper referral form. Obviously this has to be within reason and patients presenting with multiple sebaceous cysts or multiple seborrheoic keratoses may incur a higher fee depending on the complexity of the procedure.